Splak.net

Home of .:Splak|
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:37 pm 
Head Cheerleader

Fans are good enough in most cases. Quads are a special case, though. They put out twice the amount of heat, or almost to that extent. thus, water is used due to it's higher heat conductivity over copper. High flow in the water set up + a big ass radiator = stable temps projected around 40-50c as opposed to 75c for air's same set up with same chop and overclock. On dual cores, a 4ghz overclock will get you an air temp of around 55c on load. That's more than understandable.

Air's temsp can be lowered by using high cfm fans, though that tends to make more noise. If you don't mind it, then whatever. Little/No noise = water turbine=air

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:28 pm 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

Maverick, I'm taking pictures of my entire build. I will gladly post as a tut. for future builders.

I just recently received my MOBO(motherboard) and my Ram.

I am going to run:

GIGABYTE GA-EX38-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X38 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6813128089

G.Skill DDR2 1066 Memory 2x2Gb (4Gb)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6820231166

ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6835118019

Antec Neo Power 500 ATX12V 500W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a ... 6817103940

I am currently waiting on someone to stock the chip i will be purchasing...

Intel E8400 3.0Ghz 6mb cache (Wolfdale)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6819115037

Once i get that in, i will start my overclocking process on CPU/RAM. I will do my best to post all of my numbers on my build, I know me and Penguin will be in contact because we will have a VERY similar build so i wont be surprised if it turns into a bit of a contest. ;) as i am a VERY competitive person!!!!!!!

THEN after i get my CPU/RAM finished, i will go ahead and order my video card. I will either be getting a 9 series or the 8800 GTS 512. I am not sure, as there is a LONG time between now and when i will finish my overclock and there is much speculation on what will be available in one month. I'm personally excited. I'll likely start a new post once i get started on it so if you have any questions, feel free to PM or post up, and i'll do my best to answer, and if i cant answer it I'm positive Cole, Corn, Penguin, or Display will provide you with a sufficient answer.

...That is all.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

my brother called you a retard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:18 pm 
OMFG STEAM ROXORS TEH BIG ONE111

Right on thanks! If I build a comp it won't be till the summer anyway.

Quote:
I like to party, but I'm here for business.

Quote:
60% of the time it works every time.

Quote:
You dirty pirate hooker, I'm gonna send you back to whore island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:35 am 
Mega Chuck Norris
Mega Chuck Norris

Mav wrote:
So this means without proper cooling you can basically melt your chip. Does this mean that you NEED water cooling for overclocking or are just fans good enough?

Mav there are quite a few factors on what you need to overclock.

-You have to first of all buy a motherboard that allows overclocking.
-You have to have RAM capable of running the speeds you need once you overclock
-You have to provide sufficient cooling

As a general rule, Intel cpu's can run hot, they have a safety device that when the chip his 72 (I think) degrees C they more or less turn off (they pause until the temp is ok, then continue over and over), so you cant really bake one or anything, it just crawls, here is an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgOmMAasqto

This video is really old, so don't think it is any way accurate for current AMD's, and this video shows what happens in the tiny chance that your heatsink falls off, but its a cool video.

Ok, so back on topic, you want to keep your chip cold, but when you overclock you also raise the temp a little, in fact the temp hardly goes up 5 degrees when you overclock, but when you OVER VOLT it rises FAST.

As a typical rule, take the stock voltage of your chip, multiply it by 1.20 (20% overvolt) and this is the max "safe" over voltage on air, but normally is too much for air (the temps get too high)
-My AMDx2 = 1.35*1.20= 1.62 I ran mine at 1.55 (temps were getting high)
-Current Core2 65nm = 1.325*1.2 = 1.59 (I have never ran one over 1.5)
-New Core2 45nm = 1.15*1.2= 1.38, there has been numerous reports that sustaned voltage ABOVE 1.40 (EVEN 1.41) has caused chip derogation, this is where the chip need more and more voltage to run high speeds, and normally is on the way to being trash. Alot of these people have pushed it to 1.5v for testing reasons, which is stupid, keep it at or below 1.38 and you will have 0 problems.

Also there is a rate of diminishing returns with voltage because the actual chip has a limit of what it can do (unless the chip undergoes extreme cooling, like nitrogen and such).

On my old AMD the chip was a 2.4, known MAX overclock of this chip was about 2.8-3.0, I was running air.
On stock 1.35 voltage I could get about 2.55 @ 32 degrees
on 1.45 I could get about 2.65 @35 degrees
on 1.55 I could get 2.75 @ 40 degrees <--- this is where I put it for 2 years
on 1.65 I could only get 2.8 @ 60 degrees <--- you see this did not give me much, but gave me HUGE temps

So you just have to keep going up and up, until you hit the temp you are comfortable with (and if it jumps up a huge amount for a tiny gain, I would rather lose a little bit of speed for a cooler running PC).

This is where water cooling comes in, it keeps the temps down, so you CAN make it to the limit of the chips, but intels newer 45nm chips run COLD, like really fucking cold, like 3.4ghz in the 20s or low 30s. So water is not really needed, you will find the limit of the chip BEFORE you hit a temperature wall, EXCEPT when you run a quad (which is just 2 dual cores put together inside one chip, do double heat).

So if you want to overclock, and you want a quad, get water cooling, if you want to overclock, but not run water, get a dual core.

My quad, vs chris's and peng's dual should both run around the exact same ghz, except I am running 4 chips, they are running 2, depends on the chip I get (if I am lucky or not) because you can buy the same chip twice and get a good or a bad one.

We will have some interesting results for you guys in about a month, with some good benchmarks of quad vs dual on similar setups.

Edit, I forgot about ram, ram is easy to figure out, pick a number you want to overclock to, we all chose 4ghz or higher (but no higher than 4.3, its just not happening), we got this number by the overclock of people who bought the extreme quad chip (cost a grand) but is the same chip as the ones that come out this month, just has a few noobie-overclocking-friendly features, like unlocked multiplier. Our chips have a locked multi, so we have to overclock the FSB, which is the best way of doing it anyway, unless you hit a FSB wall.

My chip has a 8x multi
Chris/peng has a 9x multi

Front side bus = 333 for these chips (marketed as 1333 but its a lie, its 4 pipes of 333, so they say 333x4=1333, but whatever its 333)

333x8=2660mhz or 2.66ghz
333x9=3000mhz or 3.0ghz

So out the door their dual is a 3.0, mine is a 2.66, but just remember its the same f-in chip, they should do the same thing and have the same internal limits(except double heat for the quad)

So to pick my ram I want something that will do a max of around 4.2ghz, but 4.0 is the sweetpoint I am looking for.

DDR just means double data rate, again, marketing thing where they lie about the speed, they say its 800mhz, but its actually 400mhz times 2 pipelines.
DDR800 = 400mhz
This would mean my 333bus speed would be able to run up to 400, after 400 I am overclocking my ram, which can be bad, ram tends to actually degrate over time when overclocking very far (like ddr850 is ok on 800, but 900 or higher is asking for dead ram, it really varries stick-by-stick)
So, bus is now at 400 max because ram limits it to 400, so 400*8(multiplier) = 3200 (3.2ghz), which is nowhere my 4.0 limit I want.

My next choice is
DDR1066 = 533
533bus*8(multi)=4.264, woot there is what I am looking for, so with this ram I can now run up o 4.264ghz on my setup.

There is also DDR1200 but why do I care, its really fucking expensive and 1066 does what I need it to do, so there would be NO advantage of getting this ram.

So I bought a chip, motherboard, ram, all able to run close to 4.2ghz, and had to buy water cooling to cool that whole setup at that speed.

But say you want a quad, but want to run it on air, and do a MILD overclock.

buy ddr800, an air cooler, and run the whole thing at 3.2ghz, it will run cool and will be a good computer (but I spent about 400 bucks more to run 4.0-4.2, woot).

blah thats nothing, i built houses for pirates, then do pirating myself. Then I shoot my self and perform bullet removal surgery on myself. After that I go to boot camps to train kids to kill. Then i go and fight on the Iraq war for both sides. After all i go later and drink some 7up cause ill be thirsty as shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:22 am 

Wait, wait...

Now I'm wondering...

What would happen if you sprung a leak? :lol:

-—————— /´¯/)
-—————--/—-/
-—————-/—-/
———--/´¯/'--'/´¯`·_
———-/'/--/—-/—--/¨\
——-- ('(———- ¯~/'-')
——— \————-'—--/
———-'\'————-_-·´
————\———----(
————-\———--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:27 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

nothing, he's using a non conducive fluid. It wont do anything but get stuff wet.

I originally wondered the same thing. :)

bob wrote:
Sorry,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:30 am 
of the Four Horsemen.
of the Four Horsemen.

Yeah^

Speaking of which, I wonder if I can find my submerged oil-based computer project pics.

Used an entire motherboard with a P4 and dumped it in a tub full of oil - and it sort of worked. Never really got to test it completely (get into the BIOS, etc. - didn't hook it up with a monitor)... but I didn't get zapped to death, so I'm living proof that that shit is cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:33 am 
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG
Listen up DOUCHE-FAG

^yes,

Shit is cool.

bob wrote:
Sorry,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:31 pm 
Head Cheerleader

That shit also runs at 80c in the oil.. So hard to cool it. You have to drop dry ice into the oil to keep it at a cool temp, which means a chunk roughly weighing 2 pounds every day.. Impractical.. But so effin sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:10 pm 

Wow thanks Cole, I think that basically explains a lot I was curious about. That video was pretty sweet. I never even realized that like as soon as you take the fan off the chip the the PC just starts slowing down like nobody's business. HAHA and the AMD's just start smoking, awesome.

Other than that, I'm really curious about how your guy's setups go down. SO KEEP US UPDATED!!!!

Thanks guys!

Quote:
I like to party, but I'm here for business.

Quote:
60% of the time it works every time.

Quote:
You dirty pirate hooker, I'm gonna send you back to whore island!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:45 am 
Some kid.
Some kid.

Yea my old hp used to have a shitty fan and it was like 6 or 7 years old and I took of the crappy cooling heatsink and it just started smoking lol